To order one of my Blurb Books

If you wish to order one or more of my Blurb Books click on the link below

http://www.blurb.com/user/store/misto?filter=bookstore

Sunday, December 29, 2013

White, Yellow and The world is very evil and Ask ye what great thing I know

  The world is very evil,
  The times are waxing late:
Be sober and keep vigil,
  The Judge is at the gate;
The Judge that comes in mercy,
  The Judge that comes with might,
To terminate the evil,
  To diadem the right.

  Arise, arise, good Christian,
  Let right to wrong succeed;
Let penitential sorrow
  To heavenly gladness lead,
To light that hath no evening,
  That knows no moon nor sun,
The light so new and golden,
  The light that is but one.

  O home of fadeless splendor,
  Of flowers that fear no thorn,
Where they shall dwell as children
  Who here as exiles mourn!
‘Midst power that knows no limit,
  Where wisdom has no bound,
The beatific vision
  Shall glad the saints around.

  O happy, holy portion,
  Reflection for the blest,
True vision of true beauty,
  Sweet cure of all distressed!
Strive, man, to win that glory;
  Toil, man, to gain that light;
Send hope before to grasp it,
  Till hope be lost in sight.

  O sweet and blessed country,
  The home of God’s elect!
O sweet and blessed country
  That eager heart’s expect!
Jesus, in mercy bring us
  To that dear land of rest;
Who art, with God the Father,
  And Spirit, ever blest.

Bernard of Cluny Tr. by J. M. Neale


Ask ye what great thing I know
That delights and stirs me so?
What the high reward I win?
Whose the name I glory in?
     Jesus Christ, the Crucified.

What is faith’s foundation strong!
What awakes my lips to song?
He who bore my sinful load,
Purchased for me peace with God,
     Jesus Christ, the Crucified.

Who defeats my fiercest foes?
Who consoles my saddest woes?
Who revives my fainting heart,
Healing all its hidden smart?
     Jesus Christ, the Crucified.

Who is life in life to me?
Who the death of death will be?
Who will place me on His right
With the countless hosts of light?
     Jesus Christ, the Crucified.

This is that great thing I know;
This delights and stirs me so;
Faith in Him who died to save,
Him who triumphed o’er the grave,
     Jesus Christ, the Crucified.

Johann Schwedler Translated by Benjamin Kennedy

No comments:

Post a Comment